-The best stories on the web-
Read or link to over 1000 stories listed under Stories to the left.
Submit your short stories for review as a Word document attached to an email to: Read@Short-Story.Me

Latest Stories

April 13, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

The March

By just one seat, the Coalition of Hard Fighting Women, More Justice for Women and Green Now had won the election. At 12 noon on Giri (Wednesday), triumphant feminists would march from each end of Sydney Harbour Bridge to celebrate. Led by Prime Minister…
April 13, 2024
Flash Fiction Dominik Slusarczyk

The Exam

I I catch the ball, spin, and throw it back to my friend. I throw it way too hard. It goes sailing over my friend’s head, bounces, then goes into the back of a girl sat in a little circle with her friends. One of her friends tuts at us and tells us to be more…
April 13, 2024
Mystery Stories MegaParsec

Mrs Briton's Secret

Everyday Mrs. Briton would quietly leave the house in the dark. She would tiptoe so that no one would ever come to know that…..(beginning given) She was dying. The only pillar of the family’s well-being depending on a tiny vial and a hypodermic needle. Every…
April 11, 2024
Horror Stories Luna Woods

Cornswell The Witch

The year is 1692. A young fellow named David was on his way into town when he saw a weird-looking house in the distance. The house was old and run-down, but there was still light burning through the windows. "DAVID. DAAAAAAVIIIID." David turned around to see…
April 11, 2024
Science Fiction Stories David Blitch

Do You Remember When?

Do you remember when? Before the Alien Bastards came? Well, I sure do! I sit here in my farm house on the lake, at the foothills of the White Mountains, getting wasted on cheap beer even before the lunch bell has rung. It is a place so secluded, among the…
April 11, 2024
Romance Stories A.Coster

A Night In The Black Forest

My homebound journey following my tour of Europe was interrupted when my plane halted in Paris for a couple hours, leaving me with just one hour in Frankfurt to make my connecting flight. As I had feared, I would not make it. If you’ve traveled through…
April 01, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Salvatore Difalco

Life And Death In The Arcology

My neuropractioner, Dr. Mercury Pope, called my state of despair a waste of time. He wasn’t the only one, but coming from a neuropractioner it meant something. “Let me edit you,” he said, reaching for what they called the Helmet Doctor, a portable editing…
April 01, 2024
General Stories Michael Barlett

The Need For Speed

‘Be-Bop-a-Lula, she’s my baby Be-bop-a Lula, I don’t mean maybe’… CHAPTER ONE Gene Vincent’s rock n’ roll hit song blasted from the Radio Shack speakers in Scotty Ferguson’s souped-up ’53 Studebaker Hawk. Scotty had just cruised the length of the downtown…
March 19, 2024
Fantasy Stories Wondering Monk

Just My Imagination

The alarm clock went off and started playing an awful tune. Tom opened his eyes and closed them back, squinting. He reopened one eye and stood up to stop the torture. The phone was on the desk, in the furthest spot from the bed. Although he changed his way of…
March 19, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Ocelotlzin

Earth Is Dead

Recording… It doesn't matter who I was; I probably lived a long time ago, and I am now just a voice someone added to the audio-visual records. What is essential is the recollection of events that lead to the current state. So, a little history needs to be…
March 08, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

Some Enchanted Evening

It was a rugby tackle with tears: Chrissy burst in, sobbing and babbling, hugging James. Her face was all wet, eyes wild. What…? My parents split up, Dad has moved in with his boyfriend and I cannot join them. I am shut out. I have lost my dad. Torrent of…
March 08, 2024
Horror Stories Marvel Chukwudi Pephel

In The Hands Of My Legs

The car pulled up in front of the large salon. The neon sign, that sexy broad thing, on the salon'sroof read "Mr. Gil's All-night Salon". The exhaust pipe of the car was pumping solid smoke, theswirls moving from the car and towards the salon.…

“So, ladies and gentlemen,” says the Bright Young Thing from the training department, flashing a smile that does great credit to her orthodontist, “I hope you’ve enjoyed this morning’s seminar.  See you all back here at two o’clock prompt.”

While his colleagues close their ring binders and scrape back their chairs, Nigel Carmichael takes the opportunity to refill his fountain pen from a bottle of Quink.

Gary Bostock approaches Fred Pilkington at the desk to Nigel’s left.  “Coming to the pub?”

 

“Sure.  The afternoon will be a lot more bearable with a couple of pints of  Pedigree inside us.”  Fred jumps up and, as he tries to squeeze past Nigel, he knocks into him and a few drops of blue ink spill onto the morning’s lecture notes.

“Bother!” says Nigel.

Gary sniggers.

“Sorry, mate!” says Fred, glancing back at Gary, his eyebrows arching like the tops of question marks.  Gary shrugs.

“Want to join us?” Fred asks.

Nigel pushes his jam-jar bottom glasses back up his nose.  “No thanks, got to pick up a couple of things from the shops.”

“Suit yourself,” says Gary.

“Haven’t you got a wife to do that kind of thing?” says Fred, but he and Gary are out of the room before Nigel can reply.  Not that any answer would satisfy a couple of yobs like Fred and Gary, men who seem to think that it’s Nigel’s fault he’s never married, never had children.  Men who carry on as if it’s a joke that, at fifty-nine, Nigel still lives with his mother, now so old and frail that not only does he have to do his own shopping and cooking and ironing, but hers as well.  But none of that need concern Nigel now as he picks up his gaberdine mac from the hooks alongside the door, and follows his colleagues out of the classroom for his lunch break.

 

The front door of the building marks the boundary, like a customs post separating the world of work from Nigel’s other life.  He steps out into the street with the excitement of a child entering a theme park.  Why waste a precious hour cooped up within the four walls of the pub when he could be slap bang in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the town centre?  Why should he grumble that the company has sent them to brush up on the finer points of telecommunication skills when it means getting away from the barren landscape of the industrial estate for a whole day?  What does he care what Fred and Gary think of him; Nigel can go places way beyond the frontiers of their imaginations.

Nigel hardly dares blink for fear of losing a single moment of the experience: the multicoloured facades of the shops with the goods jostling for attention in the windows; the church spire trying to pierce a hole in the sky; and the people -- especially the people -- in every conceivable shape and size.  And not just the sights, but treats for his other senses, too: the hum of the traffic; the whiff of fat and vinegar from the fish and chip shop; the breeze caressing his cheek.  So what about taste?  One should never neglect taste.  Nigel can detect a faint metallic flavour in his mouth, from the car exhausts, or is that just his imagination determined to conjure up the full set?  So much to take in, it leaves him somewhat nauseous, as if he has indulged himself too much at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

“Excuse me, please,” snaps a young mother pushing a sturdy three-wheeler buggy.  Nigel steps to the side to give her room to pass by on the pavement, trying not to stare too obviously at her dyed-pink hair and nose ring.  Excuse me, please, he repeats in his head, striving to recapture the exact timbre of opprobrium and pleading, as she totters past on unsuitable heels.  An older woman in a knitted hat like a tea-cosy scowls at him.  Nigel blushes.  Sometimes he just doesn’t quite manage to keep his fascination with other people’s utterances to himself.

 

With only an hour, Nigel needs to prioritise, but now he’s here, it’s hard to remember exactly what he came for.  So foolish of him not to have made a list.  It would be a terrible waste if he were to spend all the time window shopping and have to go back to the seminar empty-handed.  And there are some things he definitely needs for this evening.

Nigel scans the shopfronts.  A pyramid of three-for-the-price-of-two traffic-light coloured bottles of bubble bath seems to call out to him.  He steps forward with determination, almost colliding with a man in a pinstripe suit, smelling of sweat and seaweed.  “Whoa, watch where you’re going,” snarls the man.  Whoa, watch where you’re going, the words echo in Nigel’s head, the pitch rising and descending like a surfer’s wave.

Once in the shop, he heads straight for the cosmetics counter.  As expected, the selection of lipstick is extensive, ranging from the palest cream sorbet to a tenebrous plumberry, with every possible shade of pink and purple in between, each one dressed up in a fancy name, like a racehorse.  Choices, choices!  What he needs is something cheerful but not too showy, something to accentuate the lips without being sluttish.  Nigel hesitates between rambling rose and peach swirl.  Maybe he should just toss a coin for it.  And then he spots it -- watermelon pout -- and he licks his lips with satisfaction.  Perfect!

 

With renewed confidence, Nigel crosses the road to Baby Boutique and makes his way past the romper suits and frilly dresses, the bottle sterilising systems and the baby monitors, to the display of the bulkier equipment at the back of the shop.  He turns reluctantly from the beautiful blonde-wood cots with matching chests of drawers to the prams and pushchairs, in neat rows like cars in the factory car-park.  At the front, in the equivalent of the space reserved for the chief executive, is a three-wheeler just like the one the woman with the nose ring was pushing.  Nigel steps forward to inspect it.  There seem to be more gadgets on this baby carrier than on his valiant old Fiesta.  No wonder the label refers to it as a Travel System, rather than a plain old buggy.  Nigel is impressed.

“Need any help, or are you just looking?” says a young woman wearing a red polo shirt with Baby Boutique embroidered above the left breast.

Nigel looks up.  For a moment, he sees himself reflected in the shop assistant’s eyes: an interloper by dint of both age and gender.  Is she going to ask him to leave?  He clears his throat.  “So much choice!”

“What exactly were you wanting?”

“Something that will suit a newborn,” says Nigel, then adds, for extra clarity, “but he’ll grow up.”

The young woman laughs, nervously.  “I should jolly well hope so.”

Nigel takes a deep breath.  “So, would something like this do for a newborn?”

“Sure, why not?” says the assistant.  She leans over the contraption and extracts a neat little car-seat from the chassis.  “Look, up to six months they have to go in this carrier.  Then, when they’re big enough, they can just sit in the pushchair part.  And there’s this bag here for all the changing stuff.  It’s our most comprehensive model.”

“That’s great,” says Nigel, smiling broadly.  “Thank you very much, miss.”

Looking relieved, the woman edges away towards a heavily pregnant woman loitering between a robust wooden swinging crib and a woven moses basket with a frilly pelmet.  Nigel lingers over the detail of the Arctic Sports Three-Wheeler Travel System. He was right to come in to check up.

His mother had insisted that newborns need to be put in a pram.  ‘They can’t sit up themselves,’ she explained, ‘and those flimsy buggies don’t give enough support.’  But the problem was that there was no room in the hallway for a pram.  Nigel had known that there must have been some developments in infant transportation in the nigh on sixty years since she was pushing babies about.  His original plan had been to put the baby in one of those kangaroo-pouch sling things.  But that might be tiring for a long journey and he didn’t want to go making things any more difficult for Louisa than they were already.  So this Travel System is ideal.  He feels so pleased with his shopping trip that he has the temerity to take his notebook out of his pocket and jot down some of the key points before leaving the shop.

 

Gary and Fred are the last to return to the classroom for the afternoon seminar.  As they shuffle along the row to their desks, Nigel is poring over a half-dozen pages of double-spaced typescript, while wolfing down a home-made sandwich.

“Swot!” Gary hisses, as he pushes past.

Fred lets out a beery burp as he takes his seat beside Nigel.  “Is that one of your stories, mate?”

Nigel doesn’t answer immediately.  He continues running his index finger down page five of his manuscript until he finds the word ‘sling’.  He crosses it out with his fountain pen and writes ‘travel system’ in the space above it.  Then he looks up at his colleague.  “Yes, it’s my turn to read my work to the group tonight.”

“Ladies and gentlemen, can I have your attention please?” announces the trainer with the toothpaste smile.  “I hope you all enjoyed your lunch break.”

There is a murmur of assent throughout the room.  Nigel gathers up the pages of Louisa Confronts the Baby Blues and secures them in his briefcase.  He’s looking forward to his presentation to the Writer’s Club this evening.  It’s helpful to get some feedback on his writing.  But they can be a pedantic lot, especially the women.  Always insisting on every little detail being right.

 

The End

 

Anne Goodwin's short fiction has been published online and in print and can be accessed through her writing website athttp://annegoodwin.weebly.com/ along with author interviews and a writing blog.

0
0
0
s2sdefault

Donate a little?

Use PayPal to support our efforts:

Amount

Genre Poll

Your Favorite Genre?

Sign Up for info from Short-Story.Me!

Stories Tips And Advice