-The best stories on the web-
Read or link to over 1000 stories listed under Stories to the left.
Submit your short stories for review as a Word document attached to an email to: Read@Short-Story.Me

Latest Stories

March 19, 2024
Fantasy Stories Wondering Monk

Just My Imagination

The alarm clock went off and started playing an awful tune. Tom opened his eyes and closed them back, squinting. He reopened one eye and stood up to stop the torture. The phone was on the desk, in the furthest spot from the bed. Although he changed his way of…
March 19, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Ocelotlzin

Earth Is Dead

Recording… It doesn't matter who I was; I probably lived a long time ago, and I am now just a voice someone added to the audio-visual records. What is essential is the recollection of events that lead to the current state. So, a little history needs to be…
March 08, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

Some Enchanted Evening

It was a rugby tackle with tears: Chrissy burst in, sobbing and babbling, hugging James. Her face was all wet, eyes wild. What…? My parents split up, Dad has moved in with his boyfriend and I cannot join them. I am shut out. I have lost my dad. Torrent of…
March 08, 2024
Horror Stories Marvel Chukwudi Pephel

In The Hands Of My Legs

The car pulled up in front of the large salon. The neon sign, that sexy broad thing, on the salon'sroof read "Mr. Gil's All-night Salon". The exhaust pipe of the car was pumping solid smoke, theswirls moving from the car and towards the salon.…
March 07, 2024
Mystery Stories Vanessa Leigh Giles

Casualty of Love in the Time of Coronavirus

Chapter 1 Until Death do us Part ‘Ring, ring!’. I answered the telephone and asked, “Hello, good evening. Who’s this? “Hello.” This is Dr. Smith from Red Cross hospital. “Is this Mr. Locke, John?”, he asked, hesitantly scratching his bald head. “Yes, doctor.…
March 07, 2024
Crime Stories Robert Pook

Bar Room Trigger

Another return journey on footpaths so familiar. He strides across each crack in each paving stone. Regular loose drain covers sidestepped. Mapping long ago mapped in Richard’s desolate mind. His pace hastened by the sight of the oncoming storm. Quickening…
March 04, 2024
Horror Stories Ano Chinemerem

Sanctity

Where should I begin? I could begin by telling you about this comely boy, whom every notable person around the streets agrees his smile could charm the bills off one. Between one smile, there was his goodness, his dreams and humanity—a little far ahead?— but…
March 04, 2024
Flash Fiction Emanuel Diaz

Et Mortui Partium

As Rafael stepped out into the rain, it wasn't the ordinary drops that fell from the sky. Instead, it was a storm of souls, each one taking the form of shimmering jewelry as it cascaded toward the ground. Rubies, diamonds, and sapphires twinkled amidst the…
February 29, 2024
Poetry Jing Li Ava

London

‘Am I in London?’ "I am." Where is Elizabeth? Happy living story All of your chapter Bounlance joy Please my heart Power hand Wise mind Our baby Vow vow Love all love Miss I miss Endless wonder Bring us together Love all love Miss I miss For everything My…
February 29, 2024
Flash Fiction Rob Pook

Life Sentence of The Smith

Born nine months after his country won the World Cup.A child prodigy.Cast off at age twenty-four.Husband, father, emigree, away on the other side of the world.The blue-collar life.The dreams of success.The search for fulfillment.The long years of empty…
February 29, 2024
Mystery Stories Joshua Lowther

The Operator

Jason looked over to his right, his eyes barely able to focus themselves on the subject of his attention. His neck ached terribly from the strenuous movement. He was tired. The captain’s gaze came to rest on the rookie sonar operator sitting tense at his…
February 29, 2024
Flash Fiction Salvatore Difalco

The Chute

At dusk, we left our unit with a soft pink bundle. I carried it through the wet streets and into the black woods. I said I’d take it all the way, the bundle, but that we had to drop it in together. My wife’s green eyes flashed. “Don’t make me do that.” I…

Marjorie opened the oven door and inserted a skewer into the dome of lemony sponge. “Done,” she announced.

Her husband Edward wandered into the kitchen of their tiny cottage. “Looks like a good ’un,” he said as Marjorie slid the cake onto a cooling rack. He licked a finger, pressing it into the stray crumbs that had fallen on the worktop.

“How many times have I told you not to do that!” Marjorie glared at him. Why did the silly old fool never listen?

As she turned to pick up the dishcloth there was a quiet explosion. Dignified, as befitted a lemon cake. She felt a warm splatter on the back of her cardigan and spun round. “What on earth?” Her mouth halted in the shape of a perfectly formed O as the evenly-browned sponge slid down the porcelain tiles.

Edward was staring at the ceiling. “How did that happen?” He wiped a blob of cake from his forehead and licked his fingers. “It was one of your best as well.”

Marjorie started scrubbing. “Go and see if that good-for-nothing hen has laid any eggs today and I’ll bake another cake.”

She watched him shuffle out to the garden and over to the chicken coop, where he reached inside the nest box of their remaining hen.

“That’s a surprise,” he said to Marjorie when he returned to the kitchen. “The lazy bugger’s laid 3 today.”

“Good,” she snapped, snatching them off him. “This one will have to be a chocolate cake, though,” she added, her face as sour as the lemons she didn’t have.

***

“I can’t understand why the chocolate cake exploded too,” Marjorie said as she climbed into bed and pulled the eiderdown under her chin.

“Perhaps it was the eggs,” Edward suggested. “They’ve been a funny colour the last 2 days.”

Marjorie sat bolt upright. “Yes – that’ll be it. Get rid of that hen in the morning!”

Their conversation drifted through the open window and settled in the chicken coop. Hen shook her head. It was bad enough the old couple hadn’t spotted that two of her sisters had Fowl Pox. Left untreated, it had killed them. Neither had they fixed the flimsy wire fence she had clucked and squawked about time and again.

To pay the couple back, she and her eldest sisters had spent weeks creating exploding eggs in their make-shift laboratory, hidden amongst the wood shavings and straw. But last week that wily fox had broken in and her sisters had been eaten.

Hen wiped away a stray tear. “Time for action!” she said, pushing at the fence, which still hadn’t been mended. She walked up the garden and crept inside the house. She strutted around the kitchen, her head working backwards and forward as she pecked at remnants of the two failed cakes lodged in the corners of the tiled floor. “At least I get to eat well today,” she muttered to herself. “I don’t know how they expect me to lay decent eggs on the scraps they feed me.”

She opened a drawer and chose a striped apron. She tied it tightly round her middle before pulling a mixing bowl and weighing scales out of a cupboard. She put butter and sugar into a bowl, beating vigorously until her wing ached. “They haven’t even given me a name,” she grumbled as she baked. “All my friends next door are called Henrietta, but I’m just known as ‘the hen’.” She beat in the eggs she’d produced especially and stirred in the secret ingredient that she and her sisters had also been working on.

“Date and walnut loaf,” she said, dolloping the mixture into a cake tin. She banged it into the oven, set the timer and sat down to wait.

***

“Here you are, Marjorie,” Edward said the next day as he handed her a china teacup and saucer. “Strong tea with a splash of milk.”

“Thank you,” she replied as she picked up a knife and started slicing the date and walnut loaf. She carefully placed two pieces on plates and passed one to her husband.

“Delicious,” he said. “You must have been up early this morning. I didn’t even smell it baking.”

She nodded faintly, placing each piece into her mouth slowly, savouring every morsel. She had been surprised when she had found it in her kitchen that morning. She couldn’t imagine who had left it, but she was going to take the credit because it was so delicious. There was an ingredient she couldn’t place. Cinnamon, maybe?

When she’d finished she dabbed the corners of her mouth with a handkerchief and placed her plate on the coffee table.

Edward crammed the last of his cake into his mouth and reached for the knife. “Another slice, Marjorie?”

“Yes,” she replied. “I think I will.”

***

Hen trundled up the garden dragging a coiled roped behind her. She let herself into the house and sneaked into the sitting room, where the man and woman were slumped in their chairs. The man was snoring like a steam train, but the woman’s breathing was soft and rhythmical, with just the occasional snort. Hen knew they would stay in this stupor for several hours, giving her just enough time.

It was hard work, but she tied the woman up first and dragged her through the opened French doors and down to the chicken coop. She stopped to catch her breath, wheezing slightly, and then lumbered back up the garden to do the same with the man.

She stood back, watching the couple snoozing on the straw. She then whistled loudly, prompting clucks of excitement from next door.

The Henriettas clambered over the low fence, feathers flying in their rush to be the first to see what had happened. They congratulated Hen and followed her back to the cottage, where she passed round cups of tea.

“Let’s taste some of the cake you’ve been clucking on about,” one of them said.

Hen chuckled. “I’d better make us a fresh one.”

She ambled down the garden, holding a basket under her wing. She wouldn’t be living in the cottage with her sisters as they’d planned, but she’d be happy with her friends. She wondered if the woman or the man had laid any eggs yet.

She stopped as she approached the coop. The chicken wire had been bent out of shape and the fox was sitting inside licking his lips, his stomach bloated.

He stood up and gave a low whistle. Instantly, five other foxes appeared by his side. “Come on boys,” he said. “I’ve always fancied having that old cottage as my den.”

***

The rumble of a car engine woke Fox from a deep sleep. He glanced around the kitchen at his sleeping mates – it had been another good night. He’d scavenged in local gardens for a takeaway and had then invited the lads back again to play cards. He’d lost at poker, but he’d win it all back tonight. He looked at the bodies lying amongst discarded wrappers, empty cartons and bones stripped of their meat. The weeks of collected debris had turned the air putrid. Yeah, life was good.

He listened intently before waking the others. “Human voices,” he said.

“They’re kicking the door in,” one of them replied. “Everyone up on their feet and looking mean!”

Two sets of footsteps echoed down the hall, stopping outside the kitchen.

“Oh my god!” a man’s voice spluttered. “The smell is rank. What on earth is it?”

“I don’t know,” another male voice replied. “I hope the old couple aren’t rotting somewhere!”

The first man laughed. “Nah – Bob said he’s not seen them for weeks. Thinks they’ve gone off to live with their daughter. He told me to get in quick before some other squatters come along.”

“Even so,” the first man said, “let’s just check round.”

Fox heard them banging around upstairs, opening and closing doors, then he felt the vibration of heavy tread coming down the stairs. “They’ll be coming in here next,” he told the others. “We have the element of surprise on our side. 1, 2, 3…”

As the kitchen door swung open, the foxes launched themselves at the men, teeth bared.

“What the—?” the taller man yelled.

Fox managed to sink his claws into one of the men’s legs, but the man was swift to react and kicked him hard before slamming the door shut.

“Quick!” Fox shouted to the others. “Round the back – we’ll get ’em before they reach their car!”

He opened the back door to find the men leaning against the wall. They both had shotguns slung over their forearms. As both men raised and cocked their guns, Fox’s five friends scarpered left and right, but Fox was determined to stand his ground.

“The thing is,” one of the men said to him, taking aim, “we really fancy living here.”

“Yes,” the other one added, “I’ve never had my own place before.” He glanced down the garden. “There’s even a hen house, Joe. We could keep chickens.”

 

End

 

Bio: Judy Bryan was born in Sheffield, England, but now lives in Berkshire with her husband. She has written three women's fiction novels: Playground Politics, Beyond the Clouds and Behind Closed Doors, which are all available on Amazon. She is a volunteer reader for a charity that helps children who are having difficulty reading.

 

0
0
0
s2sdefault

Donate a little?

Use PayPal to support our efforts:

Amount

Genre Poll

Your Favorite Genre?

Sign Up for info from Short-Story.Me!

Stories Tips And Advice