-The best stories on the web-
Read or link to over 1000 stories listed under Stories to the left.
Submit your short stories for review as a Word document attached to an email to: Read@Short-Story.Me

Latest Stories

April 13, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

The March

By just one seat, the Coalition of Hard Fighting Women, More Justice for Women and Green Now had won the election. At 12 noon on Giri (Wednesday), triumphant feminists would march from each end of Sydney Harbour Bridge to celebrate. Led by Prime Minister…
April 13, 2024
Flash Fiction Dominik Slusarczyk

The Exam

I I catch the ball, spin, and throw it back to my friend. I throw it way too hard. It goes sailing over my friend’s head, bounces, then goes into the back of a girl sat in a little circle with her friends. One of her friends tuts at us and tells us to be more…
April 13, 2024
Mystery Stories MegaParsec

Mrs Briton's Secret

Everyday Mrs. Briton would quietly leave the house in the dark. She would tiptoe so that no one would ever come to know that…..(beginning given) She was dying. The only pillar of the family’s well-being depending on a tiny vial and a hypodermic needle. Every…
April 11, 2024
Horror Stories Luna Woods

Cornswell The Witch

The year is 1692. A young fellow named David was on his way into town when he saw a weird-looking house in the distance. The house was old and run-down, but there was still light burning through the windows. "DAVID. DAAAAAAVIIIID." David turned around to see…
April 11, 2024
Science Fiction Stories David Blitch

Do You Remember When?

Do you remember when? Before the Alien Bastards came? Well, I sure do! I sit here in my farm house on the lake, at the foothills of the White Mountains, getting wasted on cheap beer even before the lunch bell has rung. It is a place so secluded, among the…
April 11, 2024
Romance Stories A.Coster

A Night In The Black Forest

My homebound journey following my tour of Europe was interrupted when my plane halted in Paris for a couple hours, leaving me with just one hour in Frankfurt to make my connecting flight. As I had feared, I would not make it. If you’ve traveled through…
April 01, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Salvatore Difalco

Life And Death In The Arcology

My neuropractioner, Dr. Mercury Pope, called my state of despair a waste of time. He wasn’t the only one, but coming from a neuropractioner it meant something. “Let me edit you,” he said, reaching for what they called the Helmet Doctor, a portable editing…
April 01, 2024
General Stories Michael Barlett

The Need For Speed

‘Be-Bop-a-Lula, she’s my baby Be-bop-a Lula, I don’t mean maybe’… CHAPTER ONE Gene Vincent’s rock n’ roll hit song blasted from the Radio Shack speakers in Scotty Ferguson’s souped-up ’53 Studebaker Hawk. Scotty had just cruised the length of the downtown…
March 19, 2024
Fantasy Stories Wondering Monk

Just My Imagination

The alarm clock went off and started playing an awful tune. Tom opened his eyes and closed them back, squinting. He reopened one eye and stood up to stop the torture. The phone was on the desk, in the furthest spot from the bed. Although he changed his way of…
March 19, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Ocelotlzin

Earth Is Dead

Recording… It doesn't matter who I was; I probably lived a long time ago, and I am now just a voice someone added to the audio-visual records. What is essential is the recollection of events that lead to the current state. So, a little history needs to be…
March 08, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

Some Enchanted Evening

It was a rugby tackle with tears: Chrissy burst in, sobbing and babbling, hugging James. Her face was all wet, eyes wild. What…? My parents split up, Dad has moved in with his boyfriend and I cannot join them. I am shut out. I have lost my dad. Torrent of…
March 08, 2024
Horror Stories Marvel Chukwudi Pephel

In The Hands Of My Legs

The car pulled up in front of the large salon. The neon sign, that sexy broad thing, on the salon'sroof read "Mr. Gil's All-night Salon". The exhaust pipe of the car was pumping solid smoke, theswirls moving from the car and towards the salon.…

Joey saw the grinder and knew there would be trouble. The tilt of the thing in the weeds of the abandoned Cheshire Flea Market, the rust on it, hinted at the monstrous.

His friends—Art, Charlie, Rupe—dropped the empty pop bottles and rebar they’d collected. They clustered around the grinder’s gaping mouth. They buzzed, fidgeted, leaked steam through fixed smiles as they peered from under their snow caps into the black throat of the machine.

All but for Del, who hung back, small in his parka and frowning.

Joey shot a reproachful look at Del. His brother had to brave up before the others noticed.

“Cool as shit,” Charlie said. He worked the grinder’s wheezing crank.

“You could feed a whole pig in there,” Rupe said.

“A baby pig, maybe,” Art said, bending to examine the stains dripping dark from its reservoir.

“Babe the pig,” Charlie laughed. Then they all laughed. Even Joey forced one. All except for Del.

Rupe was first to notice Del huddled outside them.

“You don’t like that idea, Del?” Rupe blubbered, mocking.

“He looks like a baby pig,” Art said.

“Maybe we should feed him in there.” Charlie elbowed Joey. They shared a half grin.

“Look, he’s quaking,” Rupe said. “Baby pig’s so scared!”

“He’s not scared,” Joey said. He knew that was a lie even without having to see Del.

Del was often scared. Scared of the water park, because there might be Jaws in the pools. Scared of Yeti in the snow. Scared of cars and spiders and bedtime without nightlight.

“Come on, Del.” Joey motioned him closer.

“Man, he’s almost pissing himself,” Art tittered, pointing at Del’s shaking legs.

“Am not,” Del whined.

“He’s brave as any of you.” Joey pat his brother on the back. Even the brief contact betrayed Del trembling.

“The fuck he is,” Charlie said.

“He is,” Joey said. He followed with what he thought his Pa would say. “He’ll prove it.”

“The fuck he will.” Charlie snorted.

“Del.” Joey firmed his voice to Pa’s tone. “Put your hand in there.”

“I don’t want to.” Del’s whine scratched higher.

“Aw,” Rupe said, “listen to Babe squeal.”

“Del.” Joey set his grip around Del’s arm. “Do it. Now.”

Del lifted that hand. He slid it in the wide brown maw of the grinder. He looked away from Joey.

Joey stung. Del would do anything for Pa and do it with a smile.

Del rode bikes to show off for Pa even though he toppled from then. He’d been hit in the face by a football a dozen times, but still played catch with their old man. He took his whippings tearlessly even though Joey couldn’t staunch his own tears.

The boys only laughed louder.

“Deeper, Del,” Joey said. Del froze.

“Deeper,” Joey said, and seethed to hear his voice so high-pitched. He didn’t sound like Pa at all. “Now.”

“No,” Del whined, “it’ll hurt.”

“Now!”

Del’s fingers twitched against the rusted teeth of the screw conveyor.

“Such a scared little pig,” Rupe said.

“Deeper,” Joey said. “Don’t be scared.”

Del tugged back a little. Joey leaned in to pin him, shoulder on the crank.

“I said don’t be scared.”

Del shot his fingers down, flinched, tried to pull back. Joey pressed to the grinder to stop him.

The crank turned.

Del shrieked.

The boys startled back. Even Joey jumped. His body hit the crank again, shifting it further, making the screw conveyor growl.

Del’s shriek widened into a scream.

The other boys scattered.

Joey gaped at his brother. Del’s face was a wax mask, a mouth a blue hole cored in its center. Out of that hole came a hooting that rose and fell and rose.

“Del,” Joey moaned, “oh, no, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”

Del tugged his arm, gibbering, spit somersaulting from lips unable to close. Each tug tensed the screws. Each time Del relaxed, they sucked deeper.

Joey put a delicate hand on the crank. Del shook his head hysterically.

“I’ll try to get it out,” Joey said. He pushed the crank. It locked against turning back. It sank forward. Del was lifted on tip-toe now.  His unbroken cries took on a roar from a throat scraped raw.

“No!” Del yelled. “You’re doing it! You’re doing it to me!”

Joey couldn’t face that. He ran. Behind him, the grinder slowly bit its way up Del’s hand.

 

Joey hunkered in a tangle of trees for an hour before he could think.

The snow was coming down now. He had run until he could no longer hear Del, so there was no telling if the screaming had stopped. Inside him, Joey heard everyone he’d ever known yelling at him: Mrs. Cormier, Doctor Rawson, his Pa, his Ma, Del, Jesus, even Carson Palmer.

The yells didn’t go away. They just absorbed; a dull roar that was now part of him.

Joey imagined the tree a cage, the snow a poison, and hoped that night would bring death.

He hunkered and hung his head, shouting at himself inside to sleep.

It failed. Joey figured he would always fail:

Fail his Pa. Fail to take his beatings like a man. Now, fail Del.

Joey shook his head. Del, he wouldn’t fail. He had, but somehow he had to make amends.

He made his way through the tangle, and when the rumble of cars came, he followed it.

 

Joey stood by Lower Route 7, shivering in the bite of Ohio winter.

He felt the cold eating deep. Joey imagined his blood’s red cells vanishing, white ice crystals deposited in their place by fingers of cold. Soon he’d be all ice.

Better that, he thought, than give up on Del.

The Route meant cars. Cars meant adults. Adults meant help.

The first car to slow for Joey’s waving was a station wagon. It had burlap curtains in the back windows and a green paint that shone even in the dusk.

A spectacled man in surgical scrubs and a fur-lined coat rolled down the window and leaned to call to Joey.

“Out here by yourself?”

“Yeah.” Joey steeled himself to tell the rest. His knuckles cracked in their fists as he forced it out. “I did something while playing and my brother got hurt. He needs help.”

“Hurt?”

“Hurt.”

“Hurt bad?” The man’s expression snapped to a frown, as if serious was a setting it had.

“Yes, Sir.”

“Get in.”

The locks opened. Joey piled in. The man drove the moment the door closed.

“Where’s your brother?” The man asked for awhile.

“A field up ahead. Outside Cheshire.”

“Okay.” The man sniffed. His nose wrinkled and relaxed, bobbing his thick glasses on his face. Joey watched until he realized the turn-off for the Flea Market field was ahead. He pointed.

“Right there, Sir.”

The man didn’t slow. He cleared his throat. He slid sweaty hands over the wheel. He didn’t even glance where Joey pointed.

“It was right back there.” Joey found his voice just as high and broken as before.

The man nodded. He smiled. He went back to serious.

“I really shouldn’t be doing this,” the man said, squinted, looked at his rearview, then shrugged. His smile came back, cold as a slice of meat.

“Doing what?” Joey said.

The man locked the doors. He put his hand on Joey’s thigh.

“Don’t be scared,” he said.

 

Matthew C. Funk is an editor of Needle Magazine, editor of the Genre section of the critically acclaimed zine, FictionDaily, and a staff writer for Planet Fury and Criminal Complex. Winner of the 2010 Spinetingler Award for Best Short Story on the Web, Funk has online work indexed on his Web domain and printed work in Pulp Modern, Grift,NeedleSpeedloader, Off the RecordPulp Ink and D*CKED.

0
0
0
s2sdefault

Donate a little?

Use PayPal to support our efforts:

Amount

Genre Poll

Your Favorite Genre?

Sign Up for info from Short-Story.Me!

Stories Tips And Advice