User Rating: 2 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

It was a dark and stormy night in the small town of Millville. The streets were empty, save for a few brave souls who were braving the elements to run errands or make their way home from a late shift at work. Among them was John, a young man in his mid-20s who had just finished his shift at the local convenience store.

John had always been a bit of a loner, preferring to spend his free time at home with his nose buried in a good book or playing video games. But tonight, as he walked home through the rain, he couldn't shake the feeling that he was being watched.

He tried to brush it off as paranoia, but as he turned onto his street, he saw a shadowy figure lurking in the bushes. John's heart raced as he fumbled for his keys, trying to unlock the door to his apartment as quickly as possible.

Just as he managed to slip inside and lock the door behind him, he heard a loud crash. Someone was trying to break in.

John's first instinct was to call the police, but as he reached for his phone, he realized it was dead. He was completely cut off from the outside world.

Panic set in as John tried to think of what to do. He couldn't just sit there and wait for the intruder to break in. He had to defend himself.

As quietly as possible, John rummaged through his drawers and cabinets, looking for anything he could use as a weapon. He settled on a baseball bat and a kitchen knife, both of which he gripped tightly as he waited for the inevitable.

The seconds ticked by, each one feeling like an eternity. Just when John thought he couldn't take the tension any longer, the door burst open and a figure stumbled into the room.

It was a woman, soaked to the bone and shaking with fear. John's initial instinct was to help her, but something about the way she was acting set off alarm bells in his head.

"Who are you?" he demanded, brandishing the baseball bat.

The woman didn't answer, just stared at him with wide, panicked eyes. It was then that John noticed the large suitcase she was carrying.

"What's in the bag?" he asked, his voice laced with suspicion.

Again, the woman didn't answer. She just stood there, shivering and staring.

John's curiosity got the better of him, and he inched closer to the suitcase, trying to get a better look. As he did, the woman suddenly lunged at him, trying to grab the bat out of his hands.

A struggle ensued, and in the chaos, the suitcase tipped over and spilled its contents onto the floor. John's heart sank as he saw the stacks of cash and jewels that tumbled out.

The woman was a thief, and she had been trying to rob him.

But John was determined not to be a victim. He fought back with all his might, managing to fend off the woman long enough to grab his phone and call the police.

When the officers arrived, they quickly apprehended the woman and recovered the stolen goods. John was hailed as a hero, and his bravery earned him a commendation from the chief of police.

In the end, it was a night that John would never forget. He had faced down a criminal and come out on top, all thanks to his quick thinking and bravery. And as he settled down to sleep that night, he knew that he was ready for whatever life threw his way next.

0
0
0
s2sdefault

Donate a little?

Use PayPal to support our efforts:

Amount

Genre Poll

Your Favorite Genre?

Sign Up for info from Short-Story.Me!

Stories Tips And Advice