User Rating: 4 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Inactive
 

I pick up the box and shut the door behind me. It contains the dresses and jewellery for the ball the royal family is holding tonight.

My foster mother and two sisters bustle into the living room where I place the big box. “Ella,” Claudia, my foster mom, dabs her handkerchief to wipe away her tears. You would think I do all the work in our house and that my foster family treats me bad.

However it is quite the opposite. I maybe Ella. But I am not Cinderella. My foster mother loves me and my sisters, and looks up to me very much. Everyone in our family loves me very much.

“You always take care of us so much,” Mom embraces me tightly. 

“Seriously, mom. You all are my family.” The four of us live in a small town named Silvania. It is ruled by the royal family, the Kennings.  The Queen and King are very good friends of my mother. She is their personal painter. 

“You should come with us to the party too,” my middle sister, Talia urges me.

I frown at the thought of going to that ball. “I don’t think so.” I have never visited the royal palace. The prince, Chace and I do not get along. At all. Charming, right?

I used to help my mom with their portraits a few months ago when the prince came back from his military service. The first time we met, it was a disaster. We argued so loudly because I mistakenly dropped one of my heels and he thought I was very clumsy. I told him that it was a little loose but he didn’t listen. So, I wore my heel and stomped away.

The second time we met on a blind date. I don’t know how that happened. Not a single thing about us matched and we both swore we won’t talk to each other ever again.

In the evening I help my mother and sisters get ready and tell Mr. Lund, our head butler to drive them to the palace.

After they are gone, I switch on the TV and decide on a rom-com movie. The movie is at its climax when there is a knock on my door.

“Who is it?” I ask not wanting to get up from the movie. This is important after all. Plus it is almost midnight.

“Ella, open the door.”

No way. Chace is here. What is he even doing here? “You hate me so why should I even open the door?”

“Really?” he grumbles something. “My car broke down and I have a ball to attend. In case you don’t remember, I am the Crown prince. I am already late.”

“Not my problem.”

Two minutes later, I grunt and open the door to find him all sweaty and tired. “What happened to you?” I am met with a pair of light blue eyes.

“I was returning from an errand and my car got stuck in the muddy road. I had to push it out myself.” Chace runs his hand through his blonde hair. He is weird. Why was he even- forget it. “My phone died too.”

“A tragic story.”

He steps inside without asking for permission. I hadn’t noticed but he is holding a bag. “I have to change and then you have to give me your car keys.”

“Mom and my sisters took my car because the other one is in the garage.”

“Seriously, can’t this day get any better?” he groans and I point him to the changing room. 

He returns a moment later looking all enchanting and handsome in a navy tux. Chace is good looking but I don’t even want to look at him at times. “Why are you not in the ball?”

“You should be glad that I don’t visit the palace anymore because of you, otherwise who would have helped you out today?”

He studies me for a moment. “I need to get there. It is almost midnight.”

“What is at midnight?”

“The Midnight dance. The Crown Prince's first dance of this year.”

Alright. “You should call someone.”

“There is no way I am admitting that I am being late to my duty.” Why am I even here? Oh, wait, this is my house. Why is he even here? 

“We have a bike. My uncle left it here to attend a trip.”

Chace smiles and grabs my hands. “You are a lifesaver. Give me the keys and go get dressed.”

“What?”

“There is no way I am going late without any reason. If I take you with me, everyone will be happy and forget that I arrived late.”

“No.” I am not going to the royal ball on a bike with the prince. Where is even my fairy godmother? 

“Okay. Consider it as an apology from my side. I will save my first dance for you. In fact I will dance only with you.” That is not even an apology. “Come on, Ella. We could start afresh.”

I consider my options. I was getting bored indeed. “Fine.”

“Lovely.”

I throw him the keys and rush upstairs to get changed. I had ordered a dress for myself on the insistence of my sisters. It is a light blue mid length gown. After brushing my brunette hair and leaving it open, I join Chace who is waiting for me on the bike.

I have to say this is a scene from a movie. Chace’s eyes widened on seeing me. “You look wow!”

I blush because he has never complimented me ever. He helps me up onto the bike and instructs me to wrap my arms around him tightly. We zoom through the road and reach the palace ten minutes before midnight. 

Chace parks the bike and tugs me so fast that my glass heel slips. Déjà vu strikes me. “Sorry,” he apologizes and crouches to help me wear it again. “There you go.”

 “Prince Chace and Miss Ella-” the royal guard member announces in confusion as we hurry into the ballroom.

“It is time for the midnight dance,” the royal advisor announces as Chace’s parents look at us half confused and half happy. 

The both of us are out of breath with all the running. The clock strikes twelve. It is midnight. Chace holds out his hand in front of me. “Ella, will you do me the honour of giving me my first dance of this year?”

I smile as I take his hand. I never thought I would be here tonight and with Chace. “Yes, my prince.” The crow erupts in cheers. Our families watch us with content as Chace glides me across the ballroom elegantly. I may not be Cinderella but this is indeed my fairy-tale moment.

Bio:

Dr. Adyasha Acharya is a doctor and author based in India. She has published few novels previously- "The Fearless Warriors" , "The Guardian Trilogy (The Guardian, The Defender and The Saviour), The Crown Heist, pocket books and several short stories. 

0
0
0
s2sdefault

Donate a little?

Use PayPal to support our efforts:

Amount

Genre Poll

Your Favorite Genre?

Sign Up for info from Short-Story.Me!

Stories Tips And Advice